Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mom's Bread

Here's the recipe to Mom's bread.  There's not a full list of ingredients, it can be a little different each time.  I'm not sure this would work in a regular old KitchenAid mixer either.  You could try to halve the recipe and then knead it by hand and that might work.  But if you really want to make Mom's homemade bread then save your pennies and get thyself a Bosch mixer.  And a wheat grinder.  And some red and white wheat.  OK - save a LOT of pennies.  :)

Photobucket

Anyway, Brianne and I got a tutorial on the homemade bread making the other day (yippee!) so I wrote down the official recipe:

Grind an even mix of white and red wheat in the wheat grinder (I think it was about 2-3 cups of each.)  Put 4 c. water in microwave safe bowl and heat to very hot. Put 2 c. oats (old fashioned or Quick oats, either is fine) in bowl of mixer with beater attachment.  Add 1 c. packed brown sugar, 1/3 c. oil, 4 tsp salt (1 TB plus 1 tsp) and pour very hot water over them.  Mix and then add about 4 c. flour and mix.  Add 1 TB plus 1 tsp yeast and add 1 c. flour and mix again.  Change to dough hook.  Keep adding flour until dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl.  Dough should be sticky but not too sticky that you can't handle it.  Let it knead in mixer for about 8 minutes.  Leave the dough in the mixing bowl (with the dough hook and all) and cover it with a towel and place in an OFF oven with the light on to raise until double - about 30 min.

After it has risen, punch down the dough or just turn on the mixer and let it run for a minute.  Grease your pans (we used 4 medium sized pans) and form loaves.  Make sure and spank 'em good so they'll be pretty.  :)

Place the pans in the OFF oven again with the light on to let raise until doubled again.  Remove pans carefully and heat the oven to 375.  Bake for about 20 minutes.  Remove from pans immediately and let cool on a wire rack. After it's cooled place the bread in bags and freeze what you won't use immediately. But I'm sure you'll just want to eat it all right away.

Photobucket

I'm making this again right now to see if I can do it on my own.  We'll see. . . fingers crossed!

1 comment: