
I will never (OK, maybe almost never) make Kraft Mac 'N Cheese again. This recipe is so yummy and really pretty easy. It does take a little longer than the Kraft version but it's totally worth it!!! I got this recipe from Keeping Up Cookbook, which I'd highly recommend. I've made several yummy things from it.
1 lb. whole grain pasta, any shape, cooked al dente (I usually use good ol' elbow macaroni)
1 3/4 cups whole milk (I've used 2% and it came out fine)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 1- 8oz. package (I also grate some extra to put on top - can't ever have too much cheese)
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
In a saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups milk to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk cornstarch into remaining 1/4 cup cold milk. Stir this mixture into simmering milk and continue cooking and stirring until sauce begins to bubble and has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Add salt to taste and cayenne if desired. Stir cheese sauce into cooked pasta. Here's where I deviate from the recipe a bit: Add mixture to greased 9x13 pan and top with shredded cheese and sprinkle with some bread crumbs. Pop in 350 oven until cheese is melted. You could probably use the broiler if you wanted it done quicker you'd just have to watch it VERY closely!
No comments:
Post a Comment