Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Skillet Summer Vegetable Lasagna

 From melskitchencafe.com
 *Serves 4-6

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper
10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Drain tomatoes into a 2-cup liquid measure. Add water to tomato liquid to make 2 cups. Add tomato/water mixture and 1 teaspoon salt to skillet.
Scatter noodles into the skillet, layer tomatoes over the noodles and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, stirring occasionally (so the noodles won't stick!) for about 10 minutes.
Stir in zucchini and squash, cook, stirring now and then, until noodles and squash are tender, about 8 minutes. Add basil and half of the rictotta cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese to the noodles, stirring until the sauce is creamy. Dollop remaining ricotta  cheese over the noodles, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy. I'm going to it but Dad will probably make me add bacon. He won't eat zuchinni without it - too healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight and it was pretty good although I was the only one who would eat it (Super picky eaters over here) Josh hasn't come home yet to try it, and he isn't a fan of the squash family so I'm crossing my fingers he's got an open mind today. I, on the other hand am a big fan of squash so I guess this meal was sort of a selfish pick on my part. Lots of left overs for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this tonight and we really liked it too! I'm lucky I guess -- Dave really loves squash (way more than me! :)) Made lots of leftovers for sure.

    ReplyDelete