Friday, August 12, 2011

Calzones

Okay, we have calzones or pizza probably every week and a half. My favorite food is pizza, ya, I'm 7. Granny requested that I put this on the blog, so I'm finally getting around to posting the recipe.Here is a step by step guide on what to do. I'm not much of a food blogger, but I did my best. Here goes:

These are the ingredients:
1 1/2 C water                            
1 t salt                                        
2 T sugar
 4 T oil
4 1/2 C flour
2 T active dry yeast
Pizza sauce and toppings
Egg wash: 1 egg  + 1 T oil, mixed


In a large bowl, stir water, salt sugar, oil and yeast.


Add flour a one cup at a time until dough is soft, not sticky.
 Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size (about a half an hour)...
 Punch dough down. Pinch off pieces of dough about the size of a Zhu Zhu pet, (that's all I had nearby that was comparable) You should be able to get  8 calzones out of this recipe.

 Roll out dough into an oval or rectangle.

 (FYI, I don't always make very pretty food...)
 Spread sauce on 1/2 of dough then stuff with toppings

I think one thing that makes my calzones extra special is to use mozzarella AND mild cheddar. I also like to use Ragu marinara sauce. But I'm sure everyone else has their preferences too.
 I like to grease my pan and spread cornmeal on it, just for an added touch.
 Okay, then fold dough down and pinch the edges closed, like so:
 Paint with the egg wash
 Cut 2-3 slits on the top for venting
 Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
 Don't forget to blow in them, the are super HOT!
Then when you're done, thrown what you don't want on the floor, and then chuck your plate on the floor too.
 
This little guy ate 3/4 of an entire calzone! We are big fans over here.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'll be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this soon too - as soon as we get home! And thanks for the Zhu Zhu pet visual. Moms really know how to speak to each other, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete